Friends of Jessop PTA
At Jessop we are committed to working in close partnership with parents to ensure they are happy with their child’s education and progress. We believe it is important that parents are involved in their child’s education and we actively encourage parents involvement in the school, wherever possible.
We communicate with parents through a regular text alert system, informing parents of upcoming events and assemblies at the school. We also send home regular newsletters and have established a Parent Forum which meets regularly to discuss and resolve any potential issues parents may have.
“My daughter is thriving at Jessop. The school really does cater for every child’s individual needs.”
Parent at Jessop Primary School.
- OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS OF THE PTA
At our AGM in November 2018, we elected the following officers and ordinary committee members:
- Chair – Jeannine Woollard
- Secretary – Amy Ross
- Treasurer – Laura Johnson
Ordinary committee members
- Jules Yong
- Amit Kulkarni
- Mala Shah-Coulon
The officers and committee members are able to co-opt new committee members and welcome new parents to join the Committee. The Committee meets at least once a term.
If you are wondering what we generally get up to, here is a summary. Events may vary year on year but we seek to have at least 3 events in a school year. Of course we can run bigger and better events with more help from all of you!
|When?||Event||Event purpose / How you can help|
|Quiz night and AGM||We had a fun quiz night for parents and teachers and hope to make this an annual fixture as it also|
provides a chance for parents and teachers to socialise informally.
The annual general meeting (AGM) is an opportunity for all parents to come along and hear in more detail about what we did in the year and the funds raised and how they will be used. It is also when you can have a say in electing our new committee.
|December||Winter fair||This is a great afternoon of festive fun for families at the school usually held on a Friday afternoon. Volunteers are needed in the weeks before the event to help find raffle prizes from local businesses, find external suppliers interested in selling goods at the fete, and plan the fair. On the day we need help with setting up stalls before the fair opens, running them, and clearing up.|
|June/July||Summer fair||As above, but held in the summer. This event is usually held on a Friday afternoon. Volunteer tasks will be very similar to those listed above.|
|Variable/TBD||Depending on the exact nature of the event, we usually need volunteers to help out at the event itself as well as before and after, and to bring a few things like snacks or soft drinks, decorations etc.|
How can you help? Many hands make light work!
Even with a small amount of free time all parents and members of the school community can help out:
- Volunteer to help at school events. Help is always needed (before and at events), great fun to give and highly appreciated
- Use your skills (e.g. craft, face painting, cooking etc.) to help run a stall at our events
- Come along and support our events
- Give us feedback and suggestions on events and spending of funds
Get your employer:
- to provide a raffle prize
- sponsor an event/ provide printing etc
- provide “matched giving or matched funding” – As our PTA is now legally set up as a charity, matched giving or matched funding is a simple way of maximising our fundraising efforts. If your employer offers this, you can ask them to pledge a sum of money relating to the amount you have raised (e.g. running a stall) or donated to the PTA.
- Decisions on how to spend the money raised are agreed by the Committee (with input from the school’s senior leadership team and pupils as appropriate).
- Our Constitution commits the PTA to spend money on things that will benefit the children directly and in the main, will be used for the ‘extras’ not provided by the school budget, that make our children’s learning experiences so much more fulfilling and exciting.
- PTA funds are not generally spent on improving the fabric of the school building as this is the responsibility of the school’s governing body.
- PLEASE GET IN TOUCH!
- Email us! Questions, offers of help, and your feedback/ideas on events and fundraising are very welcome! Please get in touch by emailing: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter @friendsofjessop